St. Patrick’s Day has become an international holiday celebrated with beer and lots of it. It’s the one day a year everyone wishes they were Irish so everyone is Irish on St. Paddy’s Day. It just makes things easier when you want to party, right? You had that long-lost third cousin once-removed who was 1/50th Irish.
Going to college in South Bend, Ind., I learned a lot about the fine art of St. Paddy’s Day celebrations. We listened to Gaelic Storm year-round and were Irish everyday, but especially on football Saturdays! So over the years since college, I’ve taken note of the best beverages to consume on this lovely holiday. I present them to you.
1. The ever-classic choice of a pint of Guinness. It has the same amount of calories as a light beer, but 1000x the flavor. If you want to be Irish, drink like one.
2. Jameson on the rocks – best Irish Whiskey out there and a great way to celebrate this day.
3. Killian’s Irish Red – Classic Irish red ale that is approachable. Try it if you haven’t yet!
4. Irish Coffee – Need a pick me up? Here is one that also includes an alcoholic kick!
5. Magner’s Irish Cider – a great and refreshing drink for those who aren’t serious beer drinkers.
There is 1 rule for St. Paddy’s Day: Under no circumstances should you drink anything dyed green. It ruins the flavor and has some other not-so-appealing side effects. Just don’t. I’ll be judging you! 😉
This is one of my favorite Irish blessings. Pray it throughout the day since this is more than about drinking!
An Old Irish Blessing
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
So have fun. Be safe. Don’t overindulge. And enjoy being Irish for a day! Sláinte!